Stem Cuttings – Fail

>> Saturday, November 13, 2010

I really did have good intentions…Death was the furthest things from my mind…I love these plants…I only wanted to make more.



There are so many webpages, blog entries, all offering such great advice on how to take part of a stem from your favorite plant and make more just like it. They all make it look so easy.



Why can I not get it to work for me?



I followed the advice given…tried to water and care for the potentially new offspring…it must not be meant to be.



Maybe I tried to do it at the wrong time of year…yeah, maybe that’s it.



Or maybe, the plant itself was not as healthy as I thought it was.



Maybe, the moon and stars were not aligned properly.



Maybe, I just can't do it.



When they say ‘a good sterile rooting media’…they probably are not referring to something I have had in a bag for the past year and a half.



When they advise keeping the soil moist in a plastic bag they probably don’t mean 24 hours a day, I mean it should get some air circulation, right?



Their positive attitude and little success tales at the end of their instructions always convince me that I too can start new plants from cuttings. But. I am beginning to lose faith.



I do love my Caryopteris, Bee Balm, Forsythia, Butterfly Bush, Daylily, and want so much to make more.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - -


Spring always spurs new hope and it seems when plants begin budding and those new green shoots start appearing through the snow, I always get filled again with the idea that anything is possible. So, I’ll wait until then and allow myself to be filled with possibility yet again that I too can make new plants from cuttings.



Yeah, It just might work.


2 comments:

Ron Mylar November 20, 2010 at 7:30 AM  

Your thinking is totally like me as my intentions are always to get the idea to make the more and more numbers of the plants and that makes me happy.

Greg W November 20, 2010 at 9:10 AM  

Hi Ron, getting these cuttings to make new plants should be at least as easy as everyone else makes it sound, right?

They say practice makes it perfect, but I'm not asking for perfection, I just want the occasional success.

Oh well, hope you have better luck than I have. Let me know when you learn the secret.

© 2007 -2011 - Utah Valley Gardens - All photos and content copyrighted by Utah Valley Gardens unless otherwise attributed. The use of photographs posted on this site without permission is forbidden and is protected by copyright law, as is all original text.

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Back to TOP