Built new bed

>> Tuesday, October 16, 2007


Finally got this bed built. I have been planning this bed since we had the deck built two months after moving into this house in 2004.



Anyway, just finished it today and now I will need to have some soil delivered. It’s 14 ½’ long by 4’ front to back do that’s 58 sq ft. times 9” deep, so that’s, where’s my calculator, 522 cu ft. What? I must have done something wrong. D’oh! I mixed feet with inches. Try this again. 14.5’ x 4’ x .75’ = 43.5 cu ft. That sounds more like it. Wow, I used to be pretty good at math. Good thing there’s the internet to show me how. I found help at Do It Yourself.com.

Other raised beds I have built in the past I used wooden stakes at the corners. They have held up pretty well but this time I opted for metal strips at the corners









and to hold boards together.

Hopefully the weight of the soil won't push it apart at the seams.





I already have plants ordered for it,
Monarda (Bee Balm) Scarlet, an herb,


Hardy Lavender, also an herb,


Geranium Birches Double,




Daylily Stella de Oro,










Delphinium Blue Butterfly, a dwarf at 14" tall,










Phlox Blue Paradise,












and Dianthus Maiden Pinks.











This leaves room for a shrub at one corner and I haven’t decided between a Caryopteris or a Spirea. That corner will be in all day full sun so either one will do.

0 comments:

© 2007 -2011 - Utah Valley Gardens - All photos and content copyrighted by Utah Valley Gardens unless otherwise attributed. The use of photographs posted on this site without permission is forbidden and is protected by copyright law, as is all original text.

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Back to TOP